Collection of personal information
Decoda collects personal information from you in a number of different ways. We may collect personal information directly from you or in the course of our dealings with you, such as when you call us, fill out a form, provide personal information to us, engage us to provide our products or services, visit one of our locations, use our Website or apply for a job with us.
We may also collect personal information about you from publicly available sources, or in some cases, from third parties including credit reporting agencies, recruitment agencies and market research and communications companies.
The types of personal information that we collect and hold about you will depend on your interaction with us. Generally, we will collect and hold your name, contact details and information relating to your dealings with us. But we may also collect additional personal information from you if you:
- use our Website – we will also collect your Internet Protocol (IP) address or Unique Device Identifier and other details about your usage of our Website;
- apply to work with us – please see section 5 below (Job applicants)
- are a Decoda customer – we will collect and hold your name, company, phone number, email and postal addresses;or
The purposes for which we collect your personal information may include:
- verifying your identity;
- contacting you (including via electronic messaging such as SMS and email, by mail, by phone or in any other lawful manner);
- providing you with our products or services or to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us;
- providing you with information that you request from us;
- assessing and progressing (if appropriate) your job application;
- developing and improving our products and services and obtaining feedback, or to notify you about changes to our products or services; and
- for advertising, marketing and lead generation.
If we are not able to collect personal information about you, we may not be able to provide you with products, services and assistance to the extent that they require us to collect, use or disclose personal information.
Use and disclosure of personal information
We may hold, use and disclose your personal information so that we can:
- respond to your enquiry and provide you with any products and services you may have requested;
- contact you (including via electronic messaging such as SMS and email, by mail, by phone or in any other lawful manner) in relation to your enquiry;
- send you our customer communications (if you are our customer);
- respond to your feedback or complaint;
- administer, investigate, report and resolve any insurance or other claims, complaints or incidents;
- assess and process your employment application, including conducting reference checks;
- carry out our business functions and activities, including meeting our legal and regulatory obligations; and
- improve the service we provide and also to let you know about promotions, discounts, upcoming events or products or services that may be of interest to you.
We may hold and use your personal information for the purposes for which it was collected. We will also hold and use your personal information for a secondary purpose that is related to a purpose for which we collected it, where you would reasonably expect us to use or disclose your personal information for that secondary purpose.
We may also share your personal information with some third parties, including:
- third party service providers we use in conducting our business (including archival, auditing, debt collection, banking, insurance, marketing, advertising, mailhouse, delivery, recruitment, customer contact, technology, data processing, research, investigation, utility, professional advisory (legal, accounting, financial and business consulting) and security services);
- if you apply to work with us (see section 5 below (Job applicants)); and
Some of the third parties to whom we disclose your personal information may be located outside Australia. See below at “Overseas disclosures”.
If you apply to work with us, we collect the details that you include in your application and during any interview process with us, as well as from your referees, our recruitment agencies and from public sources. We may also ask you to provide us with additional personal information (including as part of a criminal history check and drug and alcohol testing, as required by our pre-employment screening policy), subject to our legal obligations.
We may disclose your personal information to and/or collect your personal information from our related bodies corporate and our service providers who help us with the recruitment process. This includes recruitment agencies and service providers who perform pre-employment screening and testing services for us.
We will not use this information for any purposes other than assessing and progressing (if applicable) your employment application.
Information about our marketing practices.
We may contact you via email, post or other means in order to provide you with updated information about the products or services you have ordered from us and to provide you with other information about our products and services and those of our suppliers. If you do not wish to receive marketing emails from us, you can unsubscribe using the link contained in our emails, otherwise you can contact us using the details set out below.
When you visit our Website, our web measurement tools (including Google Analytics) and Internet Service Providers record anonymous information for statistical purposes only, including:
- the type of browser, computer platform and screen resolution you are using;
- your traffic patterns through our site such as:
- the date and time of your visit to the site;
- the pages you accessed and documents downloaded; and
- the previous page you visited prior to accessing our site; and
- the Internet address of the server accessing our site.
You can opt-out of Google Analytics by installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on – https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout, which provides you with the ability to prevent your data from being collected and used by Google Analytics. For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy & Terms web page: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en.
We may use a cookies, pixels, and web beacons when visiting our Website, social media page or mobile applications to improve your user experience. Cookies and other tracking technology (including pixels and web beacons) are small files placed on your browser or device store information about the way you use the website and assist us in providing our services. While you may configure your browser to reject cookies, due to the technology we use, cookies may be required to register with and purchase products and services online from our Website. You may encounter cookies or other data collection devices that are placed in your browser or on your hard drive by third parties. We use remarketing to advertise across web sites. Google (and other similar third parties) will show ads across web sites that you are visiting. These ads shown across other web sites are based on your past visits to our web site by using cookies.
You can opt out of remarketing by visiting Google’s Ads Settings page at http://www.google.com/settings/ads
We use and share this information to do internal research on our users’ demographics, interests, and behaviours to better understand, serve our customers and to improve or market or advertise our products and services. We also capture metrics on the number of visitors to our Website for use in server capacity needs.
We will strive to ensure that your personal information is adequately protected wherever it may be processed by our Website. To prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, to maintain data accuracy, and to ensure the appropriate use of the information, we use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption when appropriate in the collection or transferral of sensitive data such as financial information. SSL encryption is designed to make the information unreadable by anyone but us. This security measure is working when you see either the symbol of an unbroken key or closed lock (depending on your browser) on the bottom of your browser window.
The information we keep about you
You have a right to request access to or correction of your personal information held by us.
If you wish to access, correct or update any personal information we may hold about you, please contact us as set out below.
Storage and security of your personal information
We hold our customer data electronically in our IT systems and in paper files. These may include the servers of our third party service providers located within Australia.
Decoda will take reasonable steps to keep any personal information we hold about you secure. However, except to the extent liability cannot be excluded due to the operation of statute, Decoda excludes all liability (including in negligence) for the consequences of any unauthorised access to your personal information. Please notify us immediately if you become aware of any breach of security.
Some of the third parties to whom we disclose your personal information may be located outside Australia. The countries in which these third parties are located will depend on the circumstances. However, in the course of our ordinary business operations we commonly disclose personal information to third parties located in, Papua New Guinea, South Africa, South America and Malaysia.
98 Kerry Road
Archerfield QLD 4108
Phone: +61 7 3717 2271
When contacting us, please provide as much detail as possible in relation to the query, issue or complaint.
Your complaint will be taken seriously and will be assessed by an appropriate person with the aim of resolving any issue in a timely and efficient manner. We request that you cooperate with us during this process and provide us with relevant information we may require.
If you are not satisfied with our response or how we handled your complaint, you may complain to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (in writing) at:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 1042
Phone: 1300 363 992
TTY: 1800 620 241
Please direct any privacy issues or queries to:
Sime Darby Industrial Australia Pty Ltd trading as Decoda
98 Kerry Road
Archerfield QLD 4108
Phone: +61 7 3717 2271
Updated October 2021